Instagram’s image-driven platform is what makes it stand out from other social media sites. This is one of the reasons for the huge draw of brands and influencers looking to showcase their products or collaborations!
But what happens when one regular post just isn’t enough – and you have more content to share?
Meet the carousel Instagram post, a multi-image slideshow right on your feed!
Whether you want to add some variety to your Instagram account, increase engagement rates, or showcase a new collection, Instagram carousel posts might be the answer. And you have options!
With more than 83 percent of Instagram users discovering new services and products on the platform, carousel ad posts are a great way to further your brand’s reach.
And carousel posts shared on your feed give you the chance to feature whole collections in one post!
Your followers wipe through up to 10 images and videos without missing any regular posts in their feed! Talk about a great user experience.
In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about these posts, from how to start creating them to how you can boost Instagram carousel engagement.
What Is a Carousel Post?
Before you can start using them, you need to define carousel posts.
Officially called “multiple-image posts” by Instagram, these are posts that feature up to 10 photos or videos (or a combination) that followers can swipe through.
Should I Use a Carousel on Instagram? Do’s and Don’ts
While carousel posts can be a great tool, they aren’t the right choice for every situation. That’s why it’s a good idea to understand the do’s and don’ts of multi-image posts ahead of time.
- DO: Use a carousel post to showcase a collection of similar photos or related Instagram content to avoid overwhelming your feed with individual posts.
- DO: Use carousel posts on your feed or in ads when you have a variety of products or services to offer followers.
- DO: Use a carousel to tell a story through images or videos.
- DON’T: Use a carousel if your message would be better communicated in a single image or video and caption.
How to Create a Carousel in Instagram Feed
When you’ve taken a series of photos or videos of new products or have some reviews or features that you’d like to share with followers, creating a carousel post will allow you to share them together.
But creating an Instagram feed carousel is a different process from your typical post. To do so, use the following steps:
- Open your Instagram app and tap Add Post.
- In the bottom right corner of the app, click Multiple-Image Post.
- You can select up to 10 images or videos to include. Make sure to select them in the order that you would like them to be posted.
- Tap Next.
- Swipe to look through the images that you have selected. You can tap the overlapping circles to edit or add filters to each individual photo.
- When you’re finished with your edits, tap Next.
- Write your caption and add any tags you’d like to include. Then, tap Share to make your post go live.
How to Create Instagram Carousel Ads
While not all Instagram carousel posts are ads, they do make excellent marketing tools! Especially for creating lookbooks of products that you’re selling on the platform or to showcase multiple reviews at once.
Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 849.3 million users. Tools like carousel ad posts help you make the most of that reach!
You can set your target audience and goals for each individual post. This allows you to maximize the impact of your carousel ads.
Before you can create Instagram carousel ads, you’ll need to have a Facebook Business Account. Once you have an account, you’ll need to set up Facebook Ads Manager as well. Once both are set up, follow these steps to create your first Instagram carousel ad.
- From Ads Manager: follow the steps to Create a Campaign, (goals + target audiences)
- In the Ad section, under Format, select Carousel.
- Select Instagram Feed from the formatting toolbar.
- Upload your images or videos. You can also add a headline, description, and website URL ad this stage.
- Review your placement and tracking and confirm your Ad.
Post Your Carousel Posts to Instagram
Now that you know how to create Instagram carousel posts, it’s time to start using them to connect with your followers and show off your latest products, services, reviews, and more!
With Tailwind’s new carousel post support feature, you can upload and schedule your carousel posts easier than ever before!
Simply upload your carousel hero image to drafts, and then click to upload each additional image. Drag and drop them to check the order, and schedule for the best time!
When it’s time to post, you’ll receive a push notification with all your images in order and your caption saved.
You can simply select and post your new creation! Want to try it for yourself? Sign up for a – no credit card required! 💳
Whether you want to showcase your latest collection or sell more on Instagram, we can help you make the most of your Instagram marketing.
Start a Free Trial of Tailwind for Instagram!
- Schedule photos and videos directly to your Instagram feed with Auto Post.
- Optimize every post for more engagement with SmartSchedule and Hashtag Finder.
- Automatically hide your post’s hashtags in the first comment to keep your caption clean & clutter-free.
- Make your posts more discoverable with user tagging & location tagging.
- Analyze what's working across every post and profile with smart analytics.