Did you know that Instagram marketers who use nine or more hashtags per post get more than 2.5x the engagement of those who only use one hashtag?
So how do you keep your Instagram feed pretty and clutter-free? EASY! After finding the perfect set of hashtags for your post, learn how to hide hashtags with one of the four simple methods below.
The cleanest method to hiding hashtags on Instagram is by tucking them into the first comment. Just have your list of hashtags ready to go, and add them as a comment after making your post live.
Does this sound too manual for your liking? Tailwind does the work for you!
When you add hashtags to your Instagram caption in Tailwind’s Instagram planning app, you’ll see a checkbox to hide your hashtags in the first comment.
This allows you to move your hashtags from the end of your caption to the first comment on the post.
That’s it! No more cluttered captions, no more remembering to return to a post and add your hashtags.
Your post is ready for engagement the moment it goes live!
- Upload your image or video to the Tailwind Instagram planning app, craft your caption, and then type the # symbol to get predictive hashtag suggestions.
- Click to choose or add frequently-used hashtags from your list.
- Check the box to move those comments from your caption to your 1st comment.
- Click “add to queue” to automatically schedule your Instagram post for the best time.
One of the classic methods of hiding hashtags is with Instagram dots.
This is a cuter way of saying adding a series of periods between the end of your caption and your hashtag list, so that they’re hidden beneath the “More” button for your followers.
Here’s how to do it:
- Type up your caption
- After the punctuation at the end of your last sentence, make sure there are no spaces. Then hit return
- On the new line, put one period, and then hit return again
- Keep repeating until you have plenty of Instagram dots between your caption and your hashtag list
- Paste in your hashtags and press publish!
It’s really important to make sure that you don’t include any extra spaces at the end of your sentences or after each Instagram dot. If you do, it will cancel out the line break and ruin the effect!
It used to be necessary to type out your caption with the line breaks on a separate word processing app like Notes. But now Instagram allows you to form line breaks in your caption directly through the Instagram app! Just click the “123” at the bottom left of your phone’s keyboard and tap “return” to jump to a new line.
Looking for tips on how to put your hashtags lower on Instagram captions?
There IS a way to put your hashtags in your caption while keeping your posts and feed looking good, and it works similarly to the Instagram dots method.
Simply format your caption so that it adds line breaks, pushing your valuable hashtags into the “more” section of the caption where they still do their job of increasing reach and engagement, but aren’t easy to see!
Remember, take out any extra spaces lingering after the punctuation at the end of your line breaks. This also includes after emojis in your captions!
As with the dots method, you can type out the caption with the line breaks directly in Instagram now. But just remember that any hidden spaces will cancel the line break.
Did you know? You can also compose captions with hidden hashtags in Tailwind! Just copy and paste in your caption and formatting, and then use Hashtag Finder to find the best hashtags for your Instagram post.
Here’s a Tailwind hack that makes this incredibly simple and quick:
Tailwind’s Hashtag Lists make hiding hashtags on Instagram captions unbelievably easy.
From Tailwind’s Instagram publisher, create a “Hashtag” list which in this case will actually store ONLY your formatting:
- In the Tailwind Instagram Publisher, click on the “#” button
- Now click the “+” button. I called mine, “formatting.”
- Add line breaks and characters, symbols, or emojis on each line. In this hashtag list, I included a camera emoji, and then double asterisks, each on their own lines. This will add a camera emoji to the end of my caption and then insert line breaks with asterisks on them to move my hashtags down and out of view!
The important thing to note is that you need to have SOMETHING on those lines in order to sustain the line break for publishing. You could use a dash, some ellipses, or an emoji, but make sure there is nothing else on that line (no spaces following the characters) or the line breaks will disappear when you post to Instagram, even if it looks fine in the Instagram scheduler.
Now you have a handy template which will save you time every time you schedule a post – AND keep those hashtags out of sight!
Want to plan the perfect feed, find the best hashtags and post at the best times for your audience right from your phone? Its time to meet your new Instagram Smart Assistant from Tailwind - now available on Android and iOS.
Here’s a method on how to hide Instagram hashtags that make your post look spammy but keep the ones that create fun conversation.
Hashtags have been around so long that sometimes it just makes sense – and can feel a bit playful – to include them in the conversation!
With Tailwind’s Hashtag in first comment feature, only the hashtags at the END of your caption will be moved to the first comment.
So, go ahead and include some in the caption just for fun.
There’s no harm in hiding your Instagram hashtags to neaten things up. Whether you put your hashtags in your caption directly or move them to the first comment, your content will still appear in hashtag discover feeds if it’s relevant to the hashtag topic.
So, no need for concern as you’re pondering how to put your hashtags lower on Instagram. It’s just a matter of choosing the right method for you!
|Whether you put your hashtags in your caption directly or move them to the first comment, your content will still appear in hashtag discover feeds if it’s relevant to the hashtag topic.|
When it comes to hiding Instagram hashtags, do you prefer to put them in your caption or first comment – or a bit of both?
Start a Free Trial of Tailwind for Instagram!
- Schedule photos and videos directly to your Instagram feed with Auto Post.
- Optimize every post for more engagement with SmartSchedule and Hashtag Finder.
- Automatically hide your post’s hashtags in the first comment to keep your caption clean & clutter-free.
- Make your posts more discoverable with user tagging & location tagging.
- Analyze what's working across every post and profile with smart analytics.